Monday, April 12, 2010

Great Day in New Orleans - Part 1

Great day of biking today! Basically biked 40 miles across New Orleans today. I've included some pics across the town and the levee trail.

Even though it was a great day, things started rough this morning. My tent was wet and my clothes hadn't dried overnight. I moved everything into the sun, and while there the tent blew over and tore the rain fly a little bit near one of the supports. I think it'll still keep me dry, but I've probably shortened it's life. Still, at least the tent dried! So I packed it up. On the other hand, my clothes hadn't and today was the day I'd planned on getting more bike shorts. So it was either wet bike shorts (no deal) or non-bike shorts (sigh, oh well).

I'd been wearing my rain pants most of the past day to keep the sun off my legs, and with my tent packed away I had to go to the shower room to change clothes. And wouldn't you know it?! They had a laundry room there - and the the drier was available!

I hurried back to my camp site, grabbed my wet clothes and tossed 'em in! Woo hoo!

(As an aside, the drier didn't stop when you opened the door and I couldn't figure out how to get the drum from spinning. It's harder than you'd think to get get all your clothes out while the drier is still going!)

After fetching my gear and my dry clothes I headed out to of At. Bernard's Park and bike a few miles to Charlies Restaurant and had a big brunch: breaded veal covered in grilled mushrooms, melted swiss cheese and brown gravy; a sweet potato with butter, brown sugar, cinamon and pecans; and green beans cooked with bacon and lotsa garlic, yum! (and I was really full!)

I may not have been eating enough because after that meal at Charlie's I flew into New Orleans where, sometimes, the traffic was really scary. The route Bob maps out in the MRT guide is good, but hard to follow going North. I had to stop a lot. Thank goodness I could get a map on my phone, without it I might still be there.

-Chris (from his Palm Pre)

2 comments:

  1. Do you need anything shipped into you? Tent parts? We have a good friend in Baton Rouge and could probably arrange a drop. PS - Your brunch sounds a lot better than it looks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it was good! I have duct tape with me so I should be fine.

    ReplyDelete