Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Diversions and Detours - Part 3

After leaving B&C it was a quick 38 miles (over some really bad road) to my destination for the day.

Until I was brought up short by a detour sign just a few miles from Donaldsonville. What to do, what to do? 

Well, I was sick of being told what to do so I biked ahead despite the detour and made it into town (the detour is only "sometimes"). And because of a miscalculation on my milage I was going to end the day at about 75 miles rather than 85 like I originally thought. Sweet! Especially since the sun was starting to set. So I followed my GPS to the hotel.

Know what was there?

Nothing!

I was in the middle of a bunch of fields. Sigh. So I called the hotel and the receptionist kept wanting to give me directions to where they were, but couldn't figure out where I was. I kept trying to get her to tell me where she was rather than how to get there, but she didn't seem to understand the difference! Arrgh!

After talking to some locals, it turned out that I'd biked about 7 miles out of town and had to head back - and it was really starting to get dark! I threw on my flashing lights and headed back to town.

Know where the hotel was? About 1 mile into the detour! Hahaha! Oh well. With the extra biking, 86 miles in total. Am in bed now and ready for some sleep.

See ya,

-Chris (from his Palm Pre)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a long day!! Today gonna be a rest day after all that? I can't believe the Pre and google maps failed you!!!!!! It is still the best phone ever for saving our lives on the top of Mt. Rushmore!!! I'm glad you are getting some adventure mixed in with your exercise!

    ReplyDelete