Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Diversions and Detours - Part 2

As I followed the MRT north the traffic was supposed to get heavy once the levee trail ended. But it didn't.

And soon the reason became apparent. The road was closed due to a chemical spilll. The sherrif stopping traffic could have cared less. He said it could be closed a few hours, all day or a couple of days. He had no suggestions for alternate routes. In this area, there's sort of a low swampy area between the lake and the river and there are 3 roads across it. The spillway road, which I was looking forward to using and was closed, Airplane Pkwy which is a divided highway, and I-10. According to the officer I couldn't bike on I-10 or on the parkway. Know what I did? Rode the parkway. In front of other cops, too. Fortunately, the detour only added about 3 miles.

So, back on the trail. Next stop, the Edgard Ferry. Guess what? Closed. Alternate route? The big, scary bridge shown in the 2nd and 3rd pics. This was like an interstate with on and off ramps that looped around and was really high. It also contained grates which my bike could nearly fall through. See the 4th pic? That's looking down across my tire through the grate. Scary, huh?

Finally on the other side I stoppd at B&C Seafood for lunch, but I wasn't too impressed. On to Donaldsonville ...

-Chris (from his Palm Pre)

1 comment:

  1. Don't know how you made it across the bridge. Just looking at it makes me extremely anxious. Bravo for you. Sounds like you need a lot of patience with the detours. Thank God for a working GPS. Looks like the weather is holding out for you, too. Hope your legs are getting better after the sunburn and abrasions. Love You, Mom

    ReplyDelete