Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Week Minus One

Thanks to a generous severance package from my employer, I'll be able to take an extended vacation this spring. So why not bike the length of the Mississippi River? Over the next two-and-a-half months, that's what I plan to do.

I'd like to thank a lot of people for helping me with this trip, not the least of which include my sister and her fiancé for driving me to my start point near New Orleans, my father for keeping the house going while I'm gone and Bob Robinson for his advice and outstanding book: Bicycling Guide to the Mississippi River Trail (spiritscreek.com). I'd also thanks to my mom, Ben, Lee and all the people at the Cleveland Rock Gym for their generous support. I'll miss you all while I'm gone.

I'm a software engineer and rock climber based in Cleveland, OH and haven't been on my bike (or on the rock) in nearly 4 months now since the winter weather hit. In fact, I've been eating everything in site for the last few weeks as this trip came together figuring I can burn it off while on the road. Follow me as I travel unsupported from the Gulf of Mexico 2,300 miles north to Lake Itasca in northwestern Minnesota. If I make it through the first two weeks, I think I can make it the rest of the way.

2 comments:

  1. Wow!! Thats Awesome Chris! Good Luck and sorry/happy to hear about the job and all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see all your new adventures! Good luck and happy travels!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete